Hello! I’m happy to share another tutorial with you today! I created a page in my art journal inspired by the colors, sights and sounds of the season: Christmas lights, frost, music, poinsettias! Today is also Winter Solstice which means the days will be getting longer, and that just makes me happy. 🙂
I hope you enjoy the tutorial! This time I made a video to show you the process from start to finish. It’s a little ironic that I used two flower stencils (and one that even has “summer” in the title!) to create a winter-themed page, but that just goes to show you that you are not limited to the stencils you might have on hand to create a holiday or winter theme!
You can invoke any holiday or season just by changing up the color scheme! I think you will enjoy playing with the variety of media I used to create this journal page. I’ll show you two resist techniques using pigment stamp ink, a colorless blender, and Distress Stain (you could also use watercolor). Plus how to add texture with clear modeling paste!
You can certainly substitute for what you have, but this is what I used in case you would like to create similar results:
- TCW754 Distressed Details stencil 12×12″
- TCW677 Flower Tangle stencil 12×12″
- TCW690 Summer Burst stencil 12×12″
- Clear Modeling Paste TCW9008
- Ranger Distress Stain (various colors)
- Golden Fluid Acrylic (Iridescent Pearl and Teal)
- Oil pastels (one white one colorless blender)
- Stabilo marks-all pencil (black)
- Palette paper and palette knife
- Letter or word stamps and texture stamps
- Pigment stamp ink
- Glitter tissue paper (or just plain would work, too!)
- Art Journal of your choice (thick, mixed media weight paper works best)
Thanks so much for joining me today! I hope you are inspired to create something unique, merry and bright!
Nicole Austin, Guest Designer