Wouldn’t you love to know how to make your very own paper ornaments for your art journal (without the storage issues right?) or without the need for patterned paper and paper folding skills? It’s quite easy with this tutorial! Check out the YouTube video linked below for a full process lesson…
The Crafter’s Workshop provided me with some product to create this project. The opinions I share are solely my own.
The background in my mixed media art journal is made up of three parts: yellow ocher watercolor; copper metallic acrylic paint on Gel Press overlapping circle impressables gel plate; TCW9064 Turquoise Stencil Butter through 12×12 TCW851 Dotted Rings Stencil with a sponge.
For the ornaments I used a variety of mini gel plates (Gel Press Faith Impressions Kit by Keri Sallee) with acrylics on watercolor paper and applied TCW9040 White Pearl Modeling Paste through 6×6 stencils with a palette knife.
- cross gel plate + black acrylic paint + TCW346 Honeycomb Stencil
- heart gel plate + pink acrylic paint + TCW947 Beaded Mandala Stencil
- circle gel plate + blue acrylic paint + TCW164 Flurries Stencil
- diamond gel plate + purple acrylic paint + TCW2301 Harlequin Slimline Stencil
- star gel plate + orange acrylic paint + TCW947 Beaded Mandala Stencil
- flower gel plate + green acrylic paint + TCW904 Petal Burst Stencil
Once they were dry, I cut each shape out and pasted them in directional layers on the right hand side of the page. I used a silver paint marker to add the caps on top of each ornament. I also went around the edges of the ornament with a black soft pastel to push and blend them into the background.
On the bottom lower left side of the page, I applied a layer of TCW9070 Terre Verte Stencil Butter through 6×6 TCW554 Butterfly Collage Stencil. I stenciled the larger circle on the bottom of the page and a few of the smaller circles on the stencils around the rest of the page.
Renae Davis, The Crafter’s Workshop Design Team Member