Good morning all! Helen here and my turn to hopefully give you some inspiration to play with some mediums today! And a stencil of course! My project is a 6” x 6” mixed media canvas! These are so easy and fun to do! I do hope you will try one.
The Crafter’s Workshop provided me with some product to create this project. The opinions I share are solely my own.
Steps to Create this canvas….
- I made a 6” x 6” mixed media canvas using a TCW9053 Mixed Media Board. The board measures 6” x 6” and the stencil fits perfectly over this as it is 6” x 6” as well. Placing the stencil down onto the board, I used a spatula and spread some TCW9008 Clear Modeling paste through the TCW865 Asian Floral stencil. I let all the layers air dry throughout this project.
2.Once the paste was dry, I used a paintbrush and TCW9002 Black Gesso to cover the whole canvas. No need to worry if you miss a spot… you will be doing this again in a couple steps.
3. This is the fun part … gather some bits and pieces of goodies you want to add onto your canvas to give it some final dimension. It doesn’t matter the colors of these as you will be using black gesso to go over these next. I usually put a focal point of a word on one corner, and a smaller cluster in the opposite corner, especially on a smaller canvas. I used TCW9011 Matte Gel Medium Clear and a paintbrush and my fingers to adhere my bits to the canvas.
4. Once these have dried overnight, I then go over the whole thing with TCW9002 Black Gesso again.
5. Now the magic happens… all those raised areas are going to pop after you use some TCW9001 White Gesso and a brush to dry brush some white over the raised black areas. Make sure your brush is dry and you use a small amount of gesso to dry brush. You can always add more and if you add to much, just take the black gesso and redo it! Once the white is down I used my finger to rub over the raised areas using TCW9041 Platinum Modeling Paste and then TCW9038 Antique Gold Modeling paste until I was happy with the result.
6. And Voila! Completed! The Crafter’s Workshop has a variety of modeling paste colors, so the sky is the limit in the final look depending on what you use!
Thanks for taking the time to check out my canvas! Happy creating!
TCW Design Team Member
The Crafter’s Workshop Products Used:
TCW865 Asian Floral stencil
TCW9008 Clear Modeling paste
TCW9002 Black Gesso
TCW9011 Matte Gel Medium Clear
TCW9001 White Gesso
TCW9041 Platinum Modeling Paste
TCW9038 Antique Gold Modeling paste
TCW9053 Mixed Media Board 6×6