The Crafter’s Workshop provided me with some product to create this project. The opinions I share are solely my own.
The journal base used in this tutorial is cut from mat-board using the Sizzix XL 661903 Journal die by Eileen Hull.
For the front cover, I drew through 6×6 TCW970 Color Wheel Stencil (available 2/14/2022) with a pencil and then painted various colors of acrylic paint in the sections.
- Ranger Dyan Reaveley’s Dylusions Acrylic Paint in Lemon Zest, Tangerine Dream, Blue Lagoon
- Ranger Dina Wakley Acrylic Paint in Blushing, Magenta, Tangerine, Lime, Evergreen, Sky, Lapis, Blackberry, Fuchsia
On the outside spine of the journal, I applied blue painters tape along the edges and then applied black acrylic paint through 12×12 TCW937 Rows of LIines Stencil.
For the back cover, I first gel printed circles in uniform pattern using a 3″ circle Gel Press gel plate. I then applied black acrylic paint through 12×12 TCW964 Encircled stencil with a sponge.
For the inside cover, I sprayed Dylusions Ink Sprays (Pink Flamingo, Squeezed Orange, Lemon Zest, Fresh Lime, Blue Lagoon, Crushed Grape) through 12×12 TCW959 Rainbow Branch Circle Stencil (available 2/14/2022)
I finished off the cover by adding black ink splatters, stickers and embellishments. To protect the cover, I applied even layers of clear book tape (3″ packing tape) on both the inside and outside covers. I even applied a strip down the spine and punched through the holes on both sides with a small screwdriver for the elastic cords to run through.
The inserts for this journal are very easy to make. I folded 10 sheets of plain white paper in half long side, cut a piece of scrapbook paper the same size for the inter cover and then using a long armed stapler, I binded the pages together down the middle crease. *see the video linked below*
As an example of an easy way to swatch mediums, I applied various colors of the TCW Stencil Butters onto the flower Faith Impressions Gel Press plate and printed my swatches in the journal insert. They’re uniform and provide enough space to really see the colors. I will go back and add name color labels later. You can use this swatch book in anyway you want to!
Stencil butters used:
- TCW9061 Chartreuse Stencil Butter
- TCW9062 Lime Green Stencil Butter
- TCW9063 Ocean Blue Stencil Butter
- TCW9064 Turquoise Stencil Butter
- TCW9065 Fuchsia Stencil Butter
- TCW9066 Orchid Stencil Butter
- TCW9067 Gamboge Stencil Butter
- TCW9068 Marigold Stencil Butter
- TCW9069 Crimson Stencil Butter
- TCW9070 Terre Verte Stencil Butter
Renae Davis, The Crafter’s Workshop Design Team Member