Hi folks and welcome to another art journal post from me (Kim)! First, I have to start with an apology because I don’t have a step-by-step tutorial today. It seems I accidentally deleted a few of the photos from my phone before downloading to my computer…UGH! However, I’m going to share the steps with you, ’cause they were super easy!
- I started by laying down a good layer of gesso over both pages of my art journal. (I put masking tape in between both pages to prevent paint from seeping through onto the other pages).
- Next, I added a band of blue acrylic paint across the middle of the pages, then added a cream color to the top and bottom of the pages.
- Once those paint layers were dry, I added the orange paint accent.
- Earlier this year I ordered a sample pack of some modeling pastes and gels, and one of the samples was of a white sand modeling paste. I grabbed the sand paste and some of the cream paint, mixed them together (the sand paste dried clear so I needed to add color), and got to work applying the paste over the Citrus Montage stencil, which I have to share is the cutest stencil out there! I LOVE it!
- I left the paste to dry overnight, and then I created an antique wash by mixing umber paint with a glazing medium. Brush that mixture over all of both pages, wait about a minute, and remove the excess with baby wipes. Keep using clean baby wipes to remove more of the glaze, until you’re happy with the result. All of the brown areas were created with the glaze.
- At this point, I confess that I wasn’t sure what to do next. That’s when I start rummaging through my stash of leftover bits. I found this sweet tag, that I created using the couple from the Life Tidbits stencil, and a round coaster that I had created using a gelli plate….that’s all I needed to complete this spread!
- I simply added some twine to the tag, along with a tiny heart, covered in glossy accents, and attached the tag to the gelli print circle! Ta-da!
- The “love you” words are from a Tim Holtz Chit Chat sticker book and the “be present” and “fun times” stickers are others I found in my big basket of stickers.
This layout reminds me of my sweet husband, and to not only take the time to be present when we’re together, but a reminder of our love together as a couple. For those reasons, this layout is a little extra special to me. I hope you enjoyed today’s project, again, my apologizes for not including more photos..next time, promise! A photo of both pages is below. Happy Crafting!